Venture Impact Report
Philadelphia’s positive investment growth bucks national trends
according to Ernst & Young LLP, Ben Franklin Technology Partners of
Southeastern Pennsylvania, and Greater Philadelphia Alliance for Capital
and Technologies: Analysis of five and a half years of data shows $4.1B
of investment across multiple sectors
Highlights of the Venture Impact report include the following:
- Nationally, the number of venture deals in 2012 declined 3% (from 3,616 to 3,505) and dollars invested declined 18% (from $35.1B to $29.7B), while Philadelphia investment performance during 2012 was more positive with a significant 17% increase in the number of financing (158 to 191) while invested dollars reflected a comparable increase ($612M to $698M).
- Over the five-and-a-half-year period of the report (January 2008 – June 2013), the Philadelphia region saw $4.1B invested in the region’s early stage technology companies during the nation’s economic recession — an indicator of the region’s resilience with a broad-based economy of life sciences and IT.
- 81% of the capital invested in the Greater Philadelphia region’s technology sector came from venture capital firms, during the period covered by the report.
- Levels of indigenous venture capital have seen a recent increase, but the total available dollars for early stage companies has decreased.
- Since 2008, the region has seen 10 IPOs and 162 acquisitions, for a total disclosed value of $7.5B.