Terry Hicks joined Ben Franklin in 1993 as the Director of Technology and Manufacturing Programs, and in 1998 became our Vice President of the Investment Group, serving in this role until his retirement in 2015.
In his 22 years at Ben Franklin, Terry guided the growth of more than 400 companies in Greater Philadelphia through investments and regional technology partnerships and initiatives. This included such highlights as being a co-founder of the Minority Angel Investor Network in 2004, the nation’s first angel group investing in high growth minority owned or led companies; his 2012 recognition by the Philadelphia Business Journal as one of its Minority Business Leader Award winners; his membership in the advisory board of Mid-Atlantic Diamond Ventures, and; his membership in the advisory board of the Network For Teaching Entrepreneurship.
Terry’s energetic and visionary leadership of Ben Franklin gained increased respect and recognition for the organization’s role and impact in regional development, yet his greatest impact was felt not through the achievements in his tenure, but simply by being Terry. His always pleasant smile, integrity, and professionalism were present every day, in all of his interactions with colleagues, companies, and partners. He led with grace, and eagerly shared it.
As we learned of Terry’s passing last week, friends have been eager to share words on what he meant to them. We share a few of these in celebration:
- He was a man of extraordinary character and quality.
- Terry was a wonderful person.
- [He had] a kind of joy and fraternity that also made it a pleasure to work with him.
- What a kind soul.
- I have had a soft point for Terry and am sad for his early departure.
- He was so present. He saw us. He reminded me to always see others.
- He was a great role model for so many, and will be sorely missed.
- Terry, the happy times will never be forgotten and the wonderful memories will live forever in our hearts.
Services will be held on Saturday, October 27th at 10:00 AM at Reformation Lutheran Church, 1215 East Vernon Road, Philadelphia PA 19150. In lieu of flowers, please direct donations in Terry’s honor to Reformation Lutheran Church (address above), c/o The Scholarship Fund.
Read the Technical.ly article here.