Deadline: Until filled
Reports to: Assistant Controller
Ben Franklin Technology Partners of Southeastern Pennsylvania (Ben Franklin) is one of the nation’s leading venture development organizations (VDOs). Nationally ranked among the most active seed and early-stage investors, Ben Franklin works to help high-growth innovative enterprises plant and nurture their roots, supporting more than 2,000 companies to create both immediate connections and growth opportunities, while delivering an economic impact of more than $5 billion and 32,000 jobs in the Philadelphia region.
The position is responsible for general accounting duties that include processing accounts receivables into the general ledger, assisting the Controller and Assistant Controller with the monthly and quarterly financial close. These duties would include support for accounts payable and vendor management, account reconciliations, expense analysis, and ad-hoc reporting as needed. The position is also responsible for contract management, including reviewing grants and other contracts to ensure compliance and management of the contract and grant accounting and reporting processes.
The position processes grant activity as required and prepares financial reports and invoice submissions to awarding agencies. Responsibilities include: compliance oversight and monitoring; expenditure and budget tracking; internal communication of grant contract mandates and Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development (DCED) Guidelines; liaison with subcontracting institutions and partners; internal reporting; developing projections and matching funds tracking. The position assists in the grant proposal process, develops related audit schedules, and tracks grant and contract modifications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Record Accounts Receivables.
- Post company investment activity into a subsidiary ledger.
- Prepare balance sheet account reconciliations and budget analyses.
- Assist with annual financial audit and prepare SEFA (Schedule of Expenses for Federal Awards) for Uniform Guidance audit.
- Provide support for accounts payable position and assist with vendor set-up.
- Provide external reporting by funding source (i.e., federal, state, other).
- Work with departments to ensure compliance with contractual obligations.
- Monitor and report on grant and contract compliance (i.e., invoicing, payments, matching funds, budget to actual performance, etc.).
- Prepare funding applications and proposal budgets.
- Maintain the integrity, accuracy, and consistency of Ben Franklin’s grant-related database information.
- Coordinate all administrative and financial matters with grant institutions.
- Perform other job-related duties, as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required.
- Two to three years’ general accounting experience (AR/AP)
- Working Knowledge of accounting and reporting for grants and contracts (preferred).
- Working knowledge of federal funding websites for drawdown and payment tracking.
- Ability to solve problems creatively, adhere to prescribed procedures, work extra hours as needed, and maintain confidentiality.
- Willing to assist others as needed.
- Intermediate experience with Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
- Ability to work collaboratively with departments throughout the organization to complete grant and contract related administrative tasks.
- Prior experience with automated accounting systems (Microsoft Dynamics SL 2015 or SL 2018).
- Ability to prioritize and manage workload; carry out complex assignments independently; highly self-motivated.
- Handle multiple tasks, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Benefits of Working for Ben Franklin:
Ben Franklin offers a competitive salary based on experience and skills and excellent benefits, including employer-paid health, disability, life insurance, retirement savings plan with employer match, flexible spending accounts, tuition reimbursement, and paid time off, including parental leave, professional development opportunities and much more!
Competitive compensation, including full benefits and match to the organization’s 403b plan.
Please note: During COVID-19, our team has been working remotely, and we anticipate continuing to do so for the foreseeable future. While this position will start in a remote work environment, our preference is for hiring a candidate who intends to join us in the office when health conditions permit.