Government and Community Relations Manager
Reports To: Vice President of Strategic Initiatives
Ben Franklin Technology Partners of Southeastern PA combines the best practices of early-stage investing with a higher purpose – to lead the region’s technology community to new heights, creating jobs, and transforming lives.
For over 35 years, Ben Franklin Technology Partners of Southeastern PA has been the leading seed-stage capital provider for the region’s technology sectors, investing over $200 million in more than 2,000 regional technology companies, many of which have gone on to become industry leaders. Ben Franklin has also launched university/industry partnerships that accelerate scientific discoveries to commercialization and has seeded regional initiatives that strengthen our entrepreneurial community.
The Government and Community Relations Manager will support Ben Franklin as the organization successfully navigates an extended period of rapid growth and will support work to diversify its funding and reach higher levels of regional impact. This role demands a seasoned professional with skills as varied as organizational planning and grant writing and outstanding relationship management. This new position will play a key role in nurturing relationships with Ben Franklin’s alumni, legislators, and other key stakeholders.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support and help coordinate legislative communications and other government relations activities.
- Identify and solicit opportunities for new funding, program, and partnerships from among government and private philanthropy.
- Support, coordinate, or lead preparation of grant proposals to funding sources, including the annual proposal to the Commonwealth, as assigned.
- Coordinate with Finance and program staff on submission of grant reports and write required narrative.
- Staff an alumni engagement strategy to involve former portfolio company founders in Ben Franklin’s mission.
- Support senior management in capitalization efforts with research, relationship development, solicitations, and other coordination as required.
- Support senior management and other staff in organizational planning work, as needed.
- Represent Ben Franklin at regional meetings and conferences, as assigned, to identify and develop new relationships and opportunities, and to maintain and strengthen existing relationships.
- Develop a good sense of Ben programs, services, and resources available to the entrepreneurial community and awareness of how these fit among other resources in the entrepreneurial ecosystem.
Qualifications Skills and Requirements:
- Demonstrated economic development and/or other related civic sector experience preferred.
- Experience in supporting the development and execution of strategic plans.
- Experience with government/legislative relations.
- Experience engaging loosely allied people to advance specific strategies.
- Demonstrated time management skills for accomplishing diverse activities and meeting deadlines.
- Outstanding writing, ideally grants writing, skills.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- A team player, comfortable with applying a variety of skills creatively.
- Ability to work effectively with a diversity of stakeholders.
Competitive compensation, including full benefits and match to organization’s 403b plan.
Resume and Cover letter required.