Venture Capital Analyst, Healthcare Investment Group
Application deadline: Open until filled. Please submit a cover letter and resume.
Reports To: Managing Director, Healthcare Investment Group
Ben Franklin Technology Partners of Southeastern Pennsylvania (Ben Franklin) is one of the nation’s leading venture development organizations (VDOs). Nationally ranked among the most active seed and early-stage investors, Ben Franklin works to help high-growth innovative enterprises plant and nurture their roots, supporting more than 2,000 companies to create both immediate connections and growth opportunities, while delivering an economic impact of more than $5 billion and 32,000 jobs in the Philadelphia region.
The Healthcare Investment Group (HIG) manages a portfolio of over 75 health sector investments that range from pre-seed stage to approximately Series B/C stage. In addition, the HIG makes approximately 12 new investments each year, around 4 of which are pre-seed or accelerator stage investments. HIG views early-stage investing as an opportunity to help guide the role of innovation in delivering more equitable and accessible healthcare and have a major impact on outcomes. Our ultimate client is the person whose health and wellness are positively impacted by the innovation we help advance. We support start-up founders in that endeavor.
The Venture Capital Healthcare Analyst position will support the HIG activities to help source, review, structure, and manage these new investments and existing portfolios. As an Analyst, you will work collaboratively with the HIG team and portfolio companies, as well as our GO Philly Fund investments in more mature ventures. This is an opportunity to support work with healthcare innovation companies on a wide range of strategic topics across multiple subsector areas, including therapeutics, devices, and digital solutions. You will gain valuable experience in the role of venture capital and social impact investing. This position is both a personal growth opportunity in venture capital and a way to make a difference in health equity through seed-stage investing.
The Analyst will have the opportunity to directly manage a pre-seed stage portfolio and make new pre-seed/accelerator stage investments. Additionally, the Venture Capital Healthcare Analyst will help analyze information in the healthcare sector to support recommendations for investment decisions of larger amounts along with daily administrative support functions, in support of the Managing Director and other Healthcare Investment Group team members.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the Healthcare investment team via a variety of investment, administrative, and pipeline development activities.
- Support the assessment of portfolio companies’ performance and their development activities or milestone-based achievements.
- Help develop portfolio summaries and compile data into comprehensive reports. These reports often must include recommendations that offer advice on appropriate actions.
- Perform market research to help identify new investment trends and opportunities.
- As part of Ben Franklin’s deal screening, attend calls and/or meet with prospects to evaluate opportunities.
- Follow documentation protocols by summarizing call notes and enter deals into Salesforce CRM.
- Network with peers in other venture capital firms and economic development agencies.
- Help gather information for due diligence.
- Research and talk to existing references and customers of the target company.
- Under the guidance of the Managing Director and Director/s, research potential competitors to target company.
- Under the guidance of Managing Director and Director/s, research and talk with technical/business consultants to evaluate the target company’s technology, IP, regulatory and reimbursement paths.
- Support valuation analysis via modeling, in coordination with Finance Dept team, to meet quarterly deadlines and in support of audits.
- Help to prepare internal investment memos for board approval.
- Solid educational record, with graduate-level work desired, in a life sciences discipline ranging from molecular biology to biomedical engineering, in a very strong academic program.
- 2-3 years of technology assessment and commercialization assistance experiences such as with an accelerator, technology transfer office, or MedTech company in-licensing business development.
- Demonstrated interest in health equity and social determinants of health as a challenge and opportunity to be considered when investing in healthcare innovation.
- Additional exposure to finance, out-licensing business development (such as technology transfer), or commercialization projects highly desirable, whether through job history, business honor society activities, prior externships, or degree program project work.
- Demonstrated ability to succinctly and clearly summarize and communicate the results of reviews of technical/scientific background material.
- Outstanding analytical skills, detail-oriented, proactive, and of very sound judgment.
- Understanding financial markets, research and development news, and investment trends.
- Analyzing and interpreting financial data from various sources.
- Understanding and assessing peer-reviewed journal articles and data presentations.
- Advanced experience with MS Office and O365.
- Ability to work collaboratively with departments throughout the organization.
- Ability to prioritize and manage workload; carry out complex assignments independently.
- Self-motivated, innovative, and proactive.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Strong analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must be detail-oriented, able to hit the ground running, and comfortable working in a flexible and entrepreneurial work environment.
Benefits of Working for Ben Franklin:
Ben Franklin offers a competitive salary based on experience and skills and excellent benefits, including employer-paid health, disability, life insurance, retirement savings plan with employer match, flexible spending accounts, tuition reimbursement, and paid time off, including parental leave, professional development opportunities and much more!
Please note: During COVID-19, our team has been working remotely, and we anticipate continuing to do so for the foreseeable future. While this position will start in a remote work environment, our preference is for hiring a candidate who intends to join us in the office when health conditions permit.