Venture Capital Analyst, Information Technology Investment Group
Deadline: Until filled
Reports to: Managing Director, Information Technology, Investment Group
Ben Franklin Technology Partners of Southeastern Pennsylvania (Ben Franklin) is one of the nation’s leading venture development organizations (VDOs). Nationally ranked among the most active seed and early-stage investors, Ben Franklin works to help high-growth innovative enterprises plant and nurture their roots, and has supported more than 2,000 companies to create both immediate connections and growth opportunities while delivering an economic impact of more than $5 billion and over 32,000 jobs in the Philadelphia region.
The Venture Capital Analyst position will support the IT investment group activities to source, investigate, structure, and manage approximately fifty investments each year and a portfolio of more than 100 companies. As an Analyst, you will work collaboratively with Ben Franklin’s investment team and portfolio companies to accelerate growth and increase efficiency throughout our core investments, as well as our GO Philly Fund investments in more mature ventures. This is an opportunity to support work with high-growth technology companies on a wide range of strategic topics. You will gain valuable experience in the role of venture capital and social impact investing.
Additionally, the Venture Capital Analyst will help analyze financial information to forecast business, industry, and economic conditions to support recommendations for investment decisions along with daily administrative support functions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- The core responsibility of an Analyst is to support the IT investment team via a variety of investment, administrative, and business development activities.
- Support the assessment of portfolio company’s performance, analyze profit and loss sheets and company’s accounts, and make informed recommendations to the Investment Group.
- Help develop financial summaries and compile data into comprehensive reports. These reports often must include recommendations that offer advice on appropriate actions.
- Perform market research to help identify new investment trends and opportunities.
- As part of Ben’s deal screening, attend calls and/or meet with prospects to evaluate opportunities.
- Follow documentation protocols by summarizing call notes and enter deals into Salesforce CRM.
- Network with peers in other Venture Capital Firms and economic development agencies.
- Help gather information for Due Diligence.
- Research and talk to existing references and customers of the target company.
- Research potential competitors to target company.
- Research and talk with technical/business consultants to evaluate the target company’s technology, including IPs.
- Support valuation analysis via modeling.
- Help to prepare internal investment memos.
- Bachelor’s degree in a business curriculum, such as Finance, Economics, required. MBA a plus.
- At least one to three years of professional experience preferred.
- Outstanding analytical skills, detail-oriented, proactive, and self-motivated.
- Experience with cash flow modeling and investment valuation techniques.
- Understanding financial markets and trends.
- Analyzing and interpret financial data from various sources.
- Researching current and historical financial market data.
- Prior experience in financial and trend analysis.
- Start-Up experience a plus.
- Advanced experience with Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and O365.
- Ability to work collaboratively with departments throughout the organization.
- Ability to prioritize and manage workload; carry out complex assignments independently.
- Self-motivated, innovative, and proactive.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Strong analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must be detail-oriented, able to hit the ground running, and comfortable working in a flexible and entrepreneurial work environment.
Benefits of Working for Ben Franklin:
Competitive compensation | Participation in annual eligible incentive and bonus plans | Competitive Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance Coverages | Fully covered Short- & Long-Term Disability, and 2.5x Salary Life Insurance | Generous time off package including paid Parental Leave | Flexible Work Environment |Professional Development Opportunities and much more!
Please note: During COVID-19, our team has been working remotely, and we anticipate continuing to do so for the foreseeable future. While this position will start in a remote work environment, our preference is for hiring a candidate who intends to join us in office when health conditions permit.